View All Alerts
NOV 29, 2023
Hampton Boulevard – Safety Reminders
The Port of Virginia continues to collaborate with the City of Norfolk to ensure the safe and secure movement of traffic along Hampton Boulevard. This vital corridor serves the Norfolk Naval Base, Norfolk International Terminals, Old Dominion University and Sentara Norfolk General Hospital. Tens of thousands of Norfolk residents live close to Hampton Blvd.
In the last 24 months, the City worked with a Hampton Blvd. Task Force – comprised of representatives from the maritime industry, U.S. Navy, ODU and civic league representatives – to propose several additional safety measures along the corridor.
In partnership with the City, we ask our motor carrier partners to be reminded of three key items:
- Traditional speed limits have been lowered along several sections of Hampton Blvd.
- Please note and obey current posted speed limits
- Commercial trucks (four axles or more) are not permitted on Hampton Blvd., during posted hours (see below)
- Trucks are not permitted on Hampton Blvd. between the hours of 4:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m., seven days per week
- Trucks may transit Hampton Blvd. between 6:01 a.m. – 3:59 p.m.
- Observe and obey all traffic signals especially traffic lights
- Hampton Blvd. is a heavy pedestrian corridor
- Failure to obey posted traffic signals increases risks to both vehicular and pedestrian traffic
In April 2021, The Hampton Roads Transportation Planning Organization (HRTPO) published the “Hampton Blvd Corridor Study.” You may find that comprehensive report here: Hampton Blvd Corridor Study
Thank you for your support of public safety and commerce.